Monday 27 September 2010

The Patron Saint Of Soldiers

Hello everyone! Hope everyone had a good weekend! This week will be the last post in a few weeks as I am heading out to the world for 2 weeks! But have no fear as you can follow my journey around WDW on Twitter: @detailsofdisney.

With that out of the way lets have a look at this weeks detail as we head to the Germany pavilion at Epcot.



We all know that every pavilion in the World showcase has amazing details. And eventually I will cover all of them for you. This week I want to show you a great example of Disney Imagineering staying true to their details, even if no-one notices them.

As you head into the Germany pavilion you immediately notice the big statue that is in the middle of the courtyard, but does anyone know the reason for this being here? Let me tell you.

The statue is of St. George slaying a dragon.


St. George is the patron saint of soldiers. German legends say that St. George killed a dragon to which a king's daughter was being sacrificed. He Slayed the dragon with his magical sword "Ascalon".

Almost all German villages have a statue of St. George as a symbol of protection. The Germany pavilion version is modeled on the one in Rothenburg.

See the similarities in the two statues.


Well that's it for this week. I hope you enjoyed this trip to the Germany pavilion.
Remember to follow me on twitter @detailsofdisney to see what i get up to at WDW. I'm going to get lots of pictures for future blogs and send me a message if there's anything in particular you want to find out about or want me to cover next.

Until next time.......Look Closer

No comments:

Post a Comment